I Love Being A Grandma

Never a Boring Day
Each Day a New Blessing
I Am a Unique Grandma Because Each Child is Unique

Friday, January 12, 2018

A Fun Pirate Costume

O
 When I originally wrote the story Prince Taylor's Corn Maze Halloween, ( one of the Princess Jelisa children's stories) one of the characters was dressed as Captain Hook.  In editing the story for publication, the character was changed to a simple pirate captain, which I felt made him more relatable.

When I started looking at clothes for the dolls, back in 2016, one of the articles I read suggested using clothes made for preemies.  In order to see how they fit, I  purchased  an outfit that my grandson liked.  The print on the shirt (a on piece that was long enough to snap over a diaper) was a teddy bear with a pirate scarf and eye patch.  Although it was too long for the doll's torso, I saved it, thinking I could use it later or remake it.

I searched Pinterest and online costume retailers and found a variety of ideas.  I decided I wanted something simple, the kids could see themselves as.  The shirt was a perfect beginning.   I cut the bottom off the shirt, keeping it a little long to go over his pants.   Next, I made a red scarf from some red cotton and tied it around his head.  The eye patch was made from black felt and held on by a piece of black elastic.  I was planning to pair the shirt with some blue pants but Lilly, my granddaughter, insisted he needed red pants.  So I used a basic pattern to make him a pair of red pants.    We used some boots, previously purchased for one of the other dolls.   Jilly, another granddaughter told me real pirates always wore a vest.  So she helped me find some felt squares to make a two-toned vest.  Finally no pirate would be complete without a waist sash.  His ended up being black satin.

This has ended  up being one of my favorite outfits to make for this particular doll.  Next to the camouflage outfit, it is also a favorite of my grandson.  I hope you like it as well as he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment