I Love Being A Grandma

Never a Boring Day
Each Day a New Blessing
I Am a Unique Grandma Because Each Child is Unique

Monday, January 8, 2018

A Princess Inspired Costume

My 4 year old daughter hardly ever goes a day without wearing some kind of a princess dress.  Some days it is one of her favorite Sunday dresses, but most days she can be found prancing around the house in a dress-up costume.   For Halloween, she wanted to be Cinderella.  She found a dress at a local thrift store she decided was "perfect".  A week later another dress arrived, purchased by her mother from Amazon.  It was a brighter blue with an organza overlay. I thought she could wear the new dress for Halloween and the used dress for play, she insisted the first dress was her costume.  However it was the second dress which became my inspiration for a costume for one of the characters in my newest book. 

I bought some scrap pieces of blue silk and white organza from our favorite fabric store.  Since I was short on money and didn't want to purchase a new pattern for just one outfit, I used some creative knowledge to change a pattern I already owned.   Cutting the sleeve wider than the pattern I ended up with a full puffy sleeve.  I  figured out that two  half (1/2) circles would make a simple flounce. Jilly's dress had gold braid trim down the front, which I didn't have any of, but I did have about twelve (12) inches of ruffled lace,I could use.   I decided would look just as nice. Jilly was thrilled with the new princess dress for the doll.  Jilly wanted to wear long gloves with her costume, so of course the doll had to have the same.  Luckily I already had a pair of gloves which Princess Jelisa was happy to let us borrow for the night. A pair of clear sandals worked as her glass slippers.  

Here is a picture of the finished princess costume that one of the book characters wore in the book, Prince Taylor's Corn Maze Halloween.( one of the Princess Jelisa children's stories).



No comments:

Post a Comment